Sidhout Fort Kadapa History
Siddavatam fort Kadapa is a famous archaeological site. Siddavatam is famous as Sidhout Fort, the gateway to Dakshina Kasi which remodelled as Rock fort from Mud fort in ancient days. This fort extends over 30 acres in land.
Siddavatam Fort Kadapa History?
This fort was built by Matti Raja’s in the year 1303 A.D of Tuluva dynasty. Fort is built on the banks of Pennar river. This fort was gifted by Vijayanagar emperor Araveeeti Venkatapathi Rayulu II in 1605 to Yellamaraju , for the victory in OOTUKURU war.
Matti Raja’s were the Nayakar’s under Vijayanagar dynasty.
Later this fort came under the control of Mayana Nawabs of Kadapa in 17th Century. Hyder ali, the then Mysore king, captured the fort during 1779 – 1780 A.D. In the year 1792 this fort came under the control of Nizams of Hyderabad, who captured this fort from Tippu Sultan of Mysore.
In the year 1800, British took over the fort from Hyderabad Nawab’s . East India company made this as their capital to run their adminsitration. From 1807-1812 Sidhout was the district headquarters for Kadapa District.
This popular fort was under taken by Archaeology Department of India in 1956.